School Committee Meetings
Subcommittees of the Somerville School Committee are where much of the business associated with overseeing the Somerville Public Schools happens. Members of the public are welcome to attend Subcommittee meetings and meetings of the Committee for Long Range Planning. A complete schedule of meetings is available on the Calendar of Events. Minutes of meetings are archived online as they are approved by the School Committee.
- Education Programs and Instruction Subcommittee
- Finance and Facilities Subcommittee
- Rules Management Subcommittee
In addition, the Committee for Long Range Planning is a Standing Committee of the Whole. It is chaired by the Chair of the School Committee.
Weekly Calls and Agendas
Pursuant to Chapter 20 of the Acts of 2023, meetings of the School Committee will be conducted via hybrid participation. We will post an audio recording, audio-video recording, transcript, or other comprehensive record of these proceedings as soon as possible after the meeting on the City of Somerville website and local cable access government channels.
Click on the meeting date below to access the meeting links and agenda.
School Committee Call for the Week of September 25, 2023
School Committee Regular Meetings will be held via Hybrid participation moving forward. Interpretation will be offered within a Zoom link, which may be found on the Call and below.
To watch the Regular Committee Meeting live from home please visit the following link: somervillema.gov/GovTVLive
To listen live to the simultaneous interpretation of the Regular School Committee meeting in Spanish, Portuguese or Haitian Creole, please join this Zoom Webinar and choose your desired language by clicking the interpretation globe on the Zoom: https://k12somerville.zoom.us/j/85251446618?pwd=ZkQwWjd0Z1JnbmNsSS9jeC9TSnptQT09
Meeting ID: 852 5144 6618
The Somerville School Committee will continue to have Virtual Public Comment during Regular hybrid meetings. Although the mechanics may be different, we will follow policies: File: BEDH PUBLIC COMMENT AT SCHOOL COMMITTEE MEETINGS and File: BEDH-E GUIDELINES FOR PUBLIC COMMENT.
The Zoom link will open to the public at 6:45 for Monday's Regular School Committee meeting to allow constituents to sign up for Public Comment. Once in the Zoom, those wanting to sign up for Public Comment will have to enter their name and address in the chat box and hit send. The signup will close once the meeting starts at 7:00, just as it does at in person meetings. The Chair will decide the length of time allotted for speaking depending on how many speakers sign up. Speakers are encouraged to submit their written comments to Executive Assistant Ana Bautista, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you will not be able to "watch" the meeting via zoom, you must use the GovTv link to watch the meeting.
As always, constituents may contact the Somerville School Committee directly.
Click "Calendar" on the top right of this page or visit the following link: http://www.somerville.k12.ma.us/events/calendar/month?field_event_type_value%5B%5D=school_committee&=Apply to see when School Committee meetings are scheduled.
Regular and Subcommittee Meeting Documents - As of April 2022
To access meeting documents for Regular and Subcommittee Meetings, on the dates meetings are scheduled, you may visit the following link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OeGzb5OVgoCxY6u_qO-CS8iWD2lGmMFf
Regular Meeting Slide Presentations
- September 11, 2023 - Enrollment Update, Summer Debrief
- August 28, 2023 - Community Schools Update
- June 12, 2023 - MLE Dept Memo to School Committee, WHCIS Timeline, Report of the School Buildings Maintenance and Facility Committee
- May 22, 2023 - WSNS SIP Memo
- May 8, 2023 - Out of School Time Restructure
- April 24, 2023 - WHCIS SIP, Capuano SIP Memo, ESCS SIP Memo, JFK SIP Memo, Brown SOI, WHCIS SOI
- April 3, 2023 - AFAS SIP, Enrollment Forecast SC Presentation, SPS Enrollment Forecast Memo
- March 20, 2023 - School Facilities Updated City Slides, City of Somerville 5 Year CIP, Enrollment Study Preliminary Summary
- March 6, 2023 - Healey SIP, Next Wave/ Full Circle SIP
- February 27, 2023 - Brown School SIP, Common Planning Time Proposal, Special Policing Subcommittee Recommendations
- January 23, 2023 - Public Health Update, Consideration for Possible MSBA Submission 2023 - Memo, School Committee 2023-2025 Draft Goals, Somerville Focus Groups Report
- January 9, 2023 - School Buildings Facilities and Maintenance Committee Update
- December 19, 2022 - District Hiring Processes Update, Weather Preparedness Memo
- December 5, 2022 - 2022 SPS Youth Risk Behavior Survey Presentation, Department of Early Education and Care Presentation
- November 21, 2022 - Spring 2022 MCAS Presentation, Equity and Excellence Department Update
- November 7, 2022 - SPS Human Capital Presentation
- October 17, 2022 - Somerville High School Highlights SY2022 - 2023, Name Change Request Process - Memo
- October 3, 2022 - SC Mental Health Supports Presentation, Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month
- September 19, 2022 - SC Enrollment Update, 2022 SC Summer Program Debrief
- September 12, 2022 - MBTA Passes Memo
- August 29, 2022 - COVID Guidelines, DPW Scheduled Summer Work Update
- July 26, 2022 - SC Proposed Transition Slides
Video Recordings - Regular School Committee Meetings
Visit https://somervillema.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx to watch Regular School Committee meeting recordings as of September 2022. You may visit http://somervillecityma.iqm2.com/Citizens/Default.aspx to watch videos of meetings prior to August 2022.
School Committee meetings, with the exception of special meetings for Executive Session, are open to the public. In the event you miss a public meeting, minutes are available to help you keep track of the activities and actions of your elected officials (please see School Committee Minutes links on the menu to the right). Meeting handouts are available by request by contacting the Superintendent's Office.