PreKindergarten and Kindergarten Registration Deadline Changed. Due to the COVID-19 outbreak and school closures, the PreKindergarten and Kindergarten Registration assignment deadline for the school year 2020–2021 has been extended to April 3, 2020. Assignment communication will be sent out to families the week of May 4, 2020.
The Enrollment Office (formerly known as the Parent Information Center) guides families through the process of registering students for school, and helps families find local resources and services necessary to support their child's education and development throughout their lives. Enrollment Office staff members speak English, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, and French. The Enrollment Office Director is Regina Bertholdo. You can reach us by phone at (617) 625-6600, x6962.
The Enrollment Office provides the following services to families in Somerville and the Somerville Public Schools:
- Kindergarten Registration
- PreKindergarten Registration
- New Student Registration for Grades 1-8
- New Student Registration for Grades 9-12
- Intra-District Transfer Requests
- Nurse review and assistance obtaining medical registration information
- Information about Parent Workshops and Support Groups
- Additional services include Bilingual Services as well as Parent/Guardian outreach
- Referral to Mass Health/Children's Medical Plan Insurance
The Somerville Public Schools is committed to having all activities in all schools accessible to all students, parents/guardians and community members. Click here for details on accessibility.
The Somerville Public Schools has a basic process for registering new students in grades K-12 that is compliant with Massachusetts General Law. Additional information and paperwork is needed to register students in high school and pre-kindergarten.
The Somerville Public Schools uses a controlled choice student assignment plan to place students in any of the schools across the City. Controlled choice means parents/guardians have the option of registering their student in any school in the Somerville. When an elementary grade student is registered for school, her/his parent/guardian is able to choose five potential school placements for their young person. Every effort is made for students to be assigned in either their first, second, third, fourth or fifth choice placement based on several factors, including the current enrollment of the school, class sizes, their need for special education or English language learner services, and whether or not they have a sibling in the school.
Find a Guide to Somerville Public Schools on our Schools Overview Page or learn more about each school by visiting their websites.
Enrollment Office Staff:
- Regina Bertholdo: Enrollment Office Director, Student Assignment Officer (speaks English, Portuguese, Spanish)
- Colleen Flynn: Enrollment Office Secretary
- Francia Reyes: Basic Needs and Homeless Students Services Liaison (speaks English, Spanish)
- Marjorie Alexander: Enrollment Specialist (speaks English, Haitian Creole, French)
- Erika Da Silva: Enrollment Specialist (speaks English, Portuguese)
- Karla Cabrera: Enrollment Specialist (speaks English, Spanish)
- Herenia Hernandez: Enrollment Specialist (speaks English, Spanish, Portuguese)