Welcome to Highlander Country
- Athletics Calendar
- Read the 2019-2020 Guide to Interscholastic Athletics at Somerville High School.
- 2019-2020 Athletics Flyer: learn more and participate!
Support our teams and buy your gear today!
Visit our Facilities
Spectator Code of Conduct
The Somerville Public Schools and the Greater Boston League are committed to promoting good sportsmanship, and developing and maintaining a safe and health environment for competition. We believe the opportunity to represent a school is a privilege, which is accompanied by the responsibility to act with dignity, integrity and respect at all times.
Individuals associated with a (league) member institution are expected to conduct themselves in such a manner that represents the highest level of honor, and to observe the tenets of good sportsmanship: honesty, fairness, dignity, civility, and respect. Somerville leads the way in ensuring sporting events are safe and enthusiastic! Give honor and respect to student-athletes, coaches, officials, families, and fans by:
- Appreciating outstanding plays by all teams and athletes
- Supporting decisions by coaches and officials
- Showing you are a role model on the field and in the stands
- Using only positive language and gestures
- Removing your hat and remaining standing for the entire National Anthem
- Entering and exiting safely
- Not doing YOUR part to ASSURE Somerville athletic events are safe and positive may result in being told to leave or being banned from all sporting events
Focus on Athletics
The Somerville Public Schools Athletic Program intends to provide an opportunity for student-athletes to develop and display their talents through competition. All student-athletes place the highest priority on the quality of education and the successful completion of academic programs. Athletics are conducted as an integral component of the overall educational experience; with the goal of having student-athletes strive to reach their potential and give their best.
Somerville High School is a member of the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association and competes in the Greater Boston League. Students who meet all MIAA requirements and are in good academic standing at Somerville High School and Next Wave/Full Circle Alternative School are eligible to participate. For more information on eligibility go to: www.miaa.net Students must have a current physical on file to participate in sport. A copy of the physical must be handed into the athletic training office. Registration for participation can be found under the sport links.