9th Graders - Join the Google Classroom! Are you a student entering 9th grade this fall? Join the Google Classroom page just for rising you! Read the 9th Grade Orientation flyer for more information. (Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole)
Class of 2024
Transition to High School Timeline
Summer before High School
- Please join the Google Classroom for incoming first-year SHS students.
- Late July through August: information will be added to the Google Classroom. Students will get the chance to ask questions about Somerville High School. If you have any questions about this program, please email Michael Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- July 15, 2020: Fall Sports Registration opens.
- Virtual orientation begins July 27, 2020 or Aug 3, 2020.
- August: Receive final schedules through ASPEN.
- August: Fall Sports team tryouts for Boys Soccer, Girls Soccer, Cheerleading, and Medical screenings. Some sports begin practice in August.
- November: First quarterly report card issued.
- Fall: Family Open House. Parents and guardians follow their students' schedule, meet teachers, and experience a day in the life of their student. Structure for this event will depend on safety protocols.
Learn about Somerville High School
Find answers to your questions
- Visit the SHS website! www.somerville.k12.ma.us/shs.
- Read through the Student Handbook, Parent / Guardian Guide or Program of Studies for information about expectations, policies, and academics on the Guides & Handbooks page.
- Find an event on the district Calendar.
- Email your teachers by visiting the Staff Directory or the Academics Pages to find department staff.
- Talk to a school counselor.
- Not sure who to ask? ¿No estás seguro a quién preguntarle? Contact your SFLC Family and Community Liaison, Vanety Cruz, x6265.
- Email, call, or stop by your House office and talk to your House Counselor or House Assistant Principal.
- Call the SHS front office (617) 625-6600, ext. 6100. Email Principal LaGambina.
- I identify as LGBTQ+ and want to learn more about the student experience at SHS. Email English Department Teacher and student group Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) leader, Julia Post to connect with the GSA or join their google classroom, follow GSA on instagram.
Daily Life at SHS
- Find free meals on the Food Resources page.
- Career and Technical Programs Education Department.
- Students' classes and lunch shifts are scheduled based on the Daily Schedule.
- Lunch from the cafeteria is free for ALL students. Students use their ID to get their lunches. The Food and Nutrition Services Department provides a monthly menu.
- Phones are not allowed to be used in classrooms and at other school events during the day.
Bus lines frequently used by SHS students
- 80 Arlington Center - Lechmere Map and Schedule
- 87 Clarendon Hill or Arlington Center - Lechmere via Somerville Avenue Map and Schedule
- 88 Clarendon Hill - Lechmere via Highland Avenue Map and Schedule
- 89 Clarendon Hill or Davis - Sullivan Map and Schedule
- 90 Davis - Wellington Map and Schedule
- Get a discount student bus pass from Ms. Allen in room 235
- Read course descriptions, graduation, and diploma requirements in the Program of Studies.
- Find out about extra academic help, tutoring, grading, and attendance policies and other student expectations in the Student Handbook .
- Log on to ASPEN X2 to track student progress.
- Log on to Google Applications with your Student ID number and password.
- Find out the MCAS and State Testing Schedule.
Health and Wellness
- Join an Athletic team.
- Make new friends and learn a new skill by joining a club. Find a complete list of clubs by logging onto ASPEN once you start in the Fall.
Mental Health Supports
- I'm having a bad day. Talk to your counselor.
- I'm having more than a bad day either physically or emotionally. The Teen Connection Center, administered by the Cambridge Health Alliance offers health services for teens. Call them at 617-575-5690.
- I saw someone get bullied. Report it anonymously online.
- I'm having problems keeping up with the work. Start by talking to or emailing your teacher, but know that there are a lot of tutors and resources available to keep you on track. You can also join a Homework Help session in the library every Thursday from 2:45pm - 3:15pm.
- There are many programs in place at Somerville High School to support any student mental health needs. Talk to your Counselor about programs available for your needs.
Dental and Medical Health
- The Teen Connection Center, administered by the Cambridge Health Alliance offers health services for teens. Call them at 617-575-5690.
- Dental Care is available to students who need it. Please talk to your House counselor or assistant principal to learn more.
- Find more information at the School Nursing page.