We believe in developing the whole child -- the intellectual, social, emotional, and physical potential of all students -- by providing students with the skills, opportunities, and resources that will nurture innovative ideas, foster pride in diversity, inspire students to become lifelong learners and empower them to enrich their communities.
Ours is a multicultural school community dedicated to the realization of the full intellectual, physical, social, and emotional potential of all students. In this pursuit, we shall maintain a safe environment that nurtures the curiosity, dignity and self-worth of each individual.
The Somerville School Committee and District Administration work in partnership toward fulfilling the vision and mission of our District, and engaging the Somerville community in providing all Somerville youth with an exceptional educational experience.
The Somerville School Committee is comprised of seven elected members, each representing one of seven wards in the city. The Mayor of Somerville and the President of the Somerville Board of Aldermen are also voting members of the Somerville School Committee. The School Committee establishes educational goals and policies for the District, and works with the Superintendent to ensure that educational goals and policies are met. The Superintendent also serves as Secretary of the Somerville School Committee.
2018 Somerville School Committee
- Andre L. Green, Ward 4, Chair
- Carrie Norman, Ward 7, Vice-Chair
- Emily Ackman, Ward 1
- Dan Futrell, Ward 2
- Lee Erica Palmer, Ward 3
- Laura Pitone, Ward 5
- Paula O'Sullivan, Ward 6
- Honorable Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone
- Katjana Ballantyne, President, Somerville Board of Aldermen
Under the direction of the Superintendent, the District Administration team is responsible for implementing policy and providing professional leadership and support at schools and departments throughout the District, working toward established educational goals. The District's central administrative offices include are located at the Edgerly Education Building (8 Bonair Street) and include the following central office departments: Office of the Superintendent, Curriculum/Instruction/Assessment, Student Services, Human Resources, Finance & Payroll, and Communications and Grants. Central administration office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM.
District Administration Cabinet Team
- Dr. Mary E. Skipper, Superintendent of Schools
- Chad Mazza, Interim Asst. Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
- Kenya Avant-Ransome, District Data Analyst
- Dr. Sarah Davila, Director of English Language Learner Programs and Family & Community Outreach
- Francis Gorski, Director of Finance
- Uri Harel, K-8 Curriculum Coordinator
- Susana Hernandez Morgan, Director of Communications and Grants
- Dr. Lisa Kuh, Early Education Director
- Mariana MacDonald, Director of Human Resources
- Liz Doncaster, Interim Director of Student Services
- Christine Trevisone, Special Education Director
- Karen Woods, Director of Educator Development