Middle Grades Athletics
- Contact Indira Evora with questions.
- If you would multilingual support registering, contact your school-based liaison. The athletics staff also have Portuguese language capacity in-house.
- Teams represent members of our school district in grades 6, 7, and 8 who compete against other teams in the Greater Boston League (GBL), such as Everett and Malden.
- Practice and game schedule: Athletics Calendar
- Student-Athlete Handbook
- Follow us on Twitter @SHSHighlanders1 or Instagram @shshighlanders
- Please note, SPS Athletics received 2 eighth grade waivers for the 2022-2023 school year from the MIAA for golf and for girls soccer, that will allow 8th graders to participate on our high school teams.
Register for SPS Middle Grades Interscholastic Teams
Follow the registration process described on the Register My Athlete.
Registration for Fall Sports is now open!
Boys and Girls Cross Country Coach: Brian Axelrod
Baseball Coach Gary Meskall
Softball Coach Chris Bartlett
- Registration opens November 1, 2022.
- Medical Clearance is November 30, 2022 from 3:00-5:00p.m.
- Middle School Season is from December 2022 – January 2023. The first game falls on December 12, 2022 and the last game on January 23, 2023.
- Somerville has waivers for three Somerville High School winter sports teams. Middle grades students may try out for SHS Boys Ice Hockey, Girls Basketball and Coed Swim Team. Students initiate this try out process by contacting the sports team's head coach and following the SHS Athletics Registration Process.
Boys Basketball Coach Chris Johanson
Girls Basketball Coach Joshua Jones-Powell
- Registration opens February 27, 2023.
- Medical Clearance is March 29, 2022 from 3:00-5:00p.m.
- SPS has been given several waivers allowing younger students to participate in Somerville High School athletics teams. Interested eighth grade students may try out for Boys Volleyball, Boys Tennis or Boys Baseball. 7th and 8th grade students may try out for Girls Softball. Students initiate this try out process by contacting the sports team's head coach and following the SHS Athletics Registration Process.
Outdoor Track and Field Coach Brian Axelrod
Flag Football Coach Carlos Valente
Somerville Recreation Department
Additionally, the Somerville Recreation Department runs separate programming for middle grades students. To learn more about the travel basketball or intramural sports programs, contact the Somerville Recreation Department directly.
- They run the Girls Travel Basketball (Pride) and the Boys City-Wide Travel Basketball programs.
- They run the intramural sports programs. Intramural sports are school-based teams that compete with other Somerville schools. Those teams work on skills and sportsmanship in a fun, structured environment.