Artwork in a Pre-K classroom

Answers about Residency Requirements

Residency Affidavit Form

2023–2024 Residency Requirements (coming soon: Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole)

How does Somerville define "residency"?

In order to attend the Somerville Public Schools, a student must reside in the City of Somerville. “Residence” is the place where a person dwells permanently, not temporarily, and is the place that is the center of his or her domestic, social, and civic life. Temporary residence in the City of Somerville, solely for the purpose of attending a Somerville public school, shall not be considered residency. The residence of a minor child is presumed to be the legal residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have physical custody of the child. This presumption, however, may be rebutted, if there is evidence that the child actually resides elsewhere.

How does Somerville Public Schools verify Somerville residency?

Families applying to register a child in the Somerville Public Schools or submitting a change of address must demonstrate Somerville residency by submitting one document from each of two categories listed from the Residency Requirements.

Somerville Public Schools reserves the right to request additional documents and/or to conduct an investigation. Because residency may change during the school year, school officials may require verification of residency at any time. Families who change residency during the year must report such change immediately to the Principal of each school in which their children are enrolled, and must provide verification of continued Somerville residency upon request.

What if I don't have the required proofs of residency at the time of registration?

All new applicants must submit required proofs of residency. Applicants who do not have the required documents will be asked to return to the Enrollment Office with the appropriate materials before beginning the registration process. Enrollment Office staff will not accept any substitutions for items on the list of acceptable proofs of residency.

What if I don't have a lease?

If you are a tenant at-will (“month-to-month”) and do not have a written lease, ask your landlord to complete and sign the landlord/shared tenancy affidavit. This form is available by visiting or calling the Enrollment Office and it can be downloaded from the top of this page. This affidavit, along with evidence of your most recent rent payment, will fulfill the proof of residency requirement for Column A. Your landlord does not need to be present when you register, and the affidavit does not need to be notarized.

What constitutes proof of a recent rent or mortgage payment?

You may present a copy of a money order, cancelled check, or rent receipt. You also may present a copy of a bank statement that shows an automatic deduction for rent or mortgage payment.

What if I own my home but do not have a copy of the deed?

Contact the financial institution that handles your mortgage or the Middlesex County Registry of Deeds.

What if I own a home but do not pay a mortgage?

If you no longer pay a mortgage on your home, you must submit a copy of the property deed, along with a copy of the discharge of mortgage. This will satisfy your proof of residency requirement for Column A.

What if I do not pay for utilities or if none of the utility bills are in my name?

If you live in a household where all utilities are listed in the name of your landlord or someone else, AND if this is noted on your lease or landlord/shared tenancy affidavit, then you may submit proof of residency for Column B in the name of your landlord or the person you pays the bills. If your lease specifies that all utilities are included, and you do not have a home telephone ("land-line telephone") or cable television, Enrollment Office staff will verify this information and your application will be processed.

Is a cell phone bill an acceptable document to satisfy Column B?

Yes, a cell phone bill is acceptable as the proof of occupancy.

What if I have recently moved and have not yet received any utility bills?

To fulfill the requirements of Column B, you may submit a work order from any utility company stating that your service has been ordered or installed.

What if I cannot produce all required proofs?

If your personal circumstances make it impossible for you to provide proof of residency from each of the columns, consult the staff at the Enrollment Office. Bring copies of any proofs of residency you have, and describe the circumstances that prevent you from having the required proofs.

What if I live with a friend or relative?

If you share housing with a friend or relative, you may use the landlord/shared tenancy residency affidavit to fulfill the proof of residency requirement for Column A. This form is available by visiting or calling the Enrollment Office and it can be downloaded from the top of this page. Ask your friend or relative to complete and sign the affidavit to affirm your residence.

What if my family does not have any permanent residence?

The proof of residency requirements do not apply to homeless students and families covered by the McKinney-Vento Act. Contact the Enrollment Office for assistance with registering your child, if you believe that you qualify as homeless under the Act. If you are staying in a shelter, bring a letter from the shelter staff stating that you are living there.

What if I am an undocumented immigrant?

No child who actually resides in the City of Somerville will be denied access to school because of his or her immigration status.

Will documents that I submit to prove residency remain confidential?

All documents submitted to prove residency will be marked with the student’s name and considered part of his or her confidential record. The Somerville Public Schools will adhere to the standards of confidentiality set forth in state and federal laws governing the maintenance and disclosure of these records.

How can I report a suspected violation of the residency requirements?

Families, staff, students, and others can report possible residency violations by calling the Supervisors of Attendance, 617-625-6600 x6857 or x6854.

What are the consequences of residency fraud?

Any student who is discovered not to reside in the City of Somerville will be dismissed from the SPS. Additional penalties – including fines and legal action – may be imposed on families found to be in violation of the residency policy.

Required Documentation

All applicants must submit at least ONE document from EACH of the following columns as proof of residency.

Proof of Residency Proof of Occupancy
  • Record of most recent mortgage payment (or if home no longer has a mortgage, a copy of the deed)
  • Copy of signed current lease (including SHA and HUD leases)
  • Residency affidavit (available on the website or provided by the Enrollment Office)
    • filled out by the landlord or person with the lease affirming tenancy
    • AND a copy of a current utility bill in the landlord’s or lessee’s name
    • OR record of most recent rent payment
    • OR cancelled check (front and back of check) from rent payment.
  • Section 8 agreement
  • A utility bill or work order dated within the past 60 days, including:
    • Gas bill
    • Electric bill
    • Oil bill
    • Cell or home phone bill
    • Cable bill
  • Property Tax bill
  • Current vehicle registration.
  • Letter from Mass Health or Private Health Insurance Agency
  • Printed Pay Stub

Dated within the past year:

  • W-2 form
  • Excise (vehicle) tax bill