Welcome to Special Education
Parent and family technology resource page: https://sites.google.com/k12.somerville.ma.us/parents/home
Special Education Resources and Sites for Content Area Practice - The Special Education Department staff have compiled and organized a comprehensive list of resources and sites to support families and students. We invite you to explore the site for a great list of resources, activities, and information on topics that include Accessibility, Art, Executive Functioning, Communication, Literacy, Sensory, and more! Information is available in multiple languages.
DDS Open Enrollment for the Autism Waiver
Letters to Parents and Guardians
2021-2022 School Year Parent Letter and FAQ from the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education: Letter and FAQ
Take the Survey
The Special Education Department is responsible for ensuring all students who require special education services in order to maximize their learning are identified and their individualized learning needs are met in the least restrictive environment possible. Special Education Department staff work with teachers, administrators, and families to ensure Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) for students are implemented with integrity.
- Learn more about the Special Education process: 2021-2022 Somerville Special Education Procedural Manual
- Learn more about Special Education assistive technology: Special Education Assistive Technology (SEAT)
- SPS Policy and Procedures Regarding Special Education Extended School Year Programs and Services: Coming Soon
We invite you to share your comments or questions.
Special Education Administration
- Christine Trevisone, Director of Special Education, Nursing, and Health Services, 617-625-6600 x6810
- Marisa MacDonald, Assistant Director of Special Education for Instruction and Programming, 617-625-6600 x6815
- Will Verbits, Assistant Director of Special Education for Services and Supports, 617-625-6600 x6807
Special Education Department Heads/Coordinators
- Susan Gibbons, Department Head, Capuano School, 617-625-6600 x3624
- Jack Haverty, Department Head/Vice Principal, Full Circle and Next Wave, 617-625-6600 x610770
- Ashley Pennell, Department Head, Healey School and West Somerville Neighborhood School, 617-625-6600 x6536 and x6458
- Caeli Smith, K-8 Coordinator of Social Emotional Supports, Services, and Programming, 617-625-6600 x6653
- Victoria Vendola, Department Head, Kennedy School and Program Director for LifeSkills, SHIP, and Transition, 617-625-6600 x6619
- Rachel Ziulkowski, Department Head, Somerville High School, 617-625-6600 x615122
Special Education Team Facilitators
- Konstantina Halas, Evaluation Team Leader, Somerville High School and Brown School (Initials only), 617-625-6600 x615123
- Susan Maday, Facilitator, East Somerville Community School, 617-629-5400 x3707
- Dorothy Scally, Facilitator, Brown School and Out of District Programs, 617-625-6600 x6835
- Merlisha Theodat, Facilitator, Winter Hill Community Innovation School (non-AIM) and Argenziano School, 617-625-6600 x6836
Special Education Parent Advisory Council
Connect to other families whose children receive special education services in the Somerville Public Schools.
Parent's Notice of Procedural Safeguards
If a student is eligible for special education, the school district must provide a free appropriate public education, commonly referred to by the acronym FAPE, working in partnership with the student's parents/guardians. Please read the Parent's Notice of Procedural Safeguards, available on the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's website in multiple languages.
In accordance with the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA 2004) and Massachusetts Special Education regulations 603 CMR 28.00, the Somerville Public Schools provides screenings and evaluations for all children residing in Somerville, MA between the ages of 3 and 21 to determine eligibility for special education services. Any parent, caregiver, or teacher may refer the student for evaluation if they suspect the presence of a disability that may preclude the child from progressing effectively in a regular education program. This notice applies to all children residing in Somerville, MA who attend either public or private schools. If you believe your child may be in need of special education services, please contact your child's principal or a special education department head or facilitator as listed below.
- Argenziano School: Merlisha Theodat, Facilitator, 617-625-6600 x6836
- Brown School: Dorothy Scally, Facilitator, 617-625-6688 x6835
- ECIP/Capuano Early Childhood Center: Susan Gibbons, Department Head, 617-625-6600 x3624
- East Somerville Community School: Susan Maday, Facilitator, 617-629-5400 x3707
- Healey School: Ashley Pennell, Department Head, 617-625-6600 x6536
- Kennedy School: Victoria Vendola, Department Head, 617-625-6600 x6619
- Full Circle and Next Wave Schools: Jack Haverty, Department Head, 617-625-6600 x610770
- Somerville High School: Rachel Ziulkowski, Department Head, 617-625-6600 x615122
- West Somerville Neighborhood School: Ashley Pennell, Department Head, 617-625-6600 x6458
- Winter Hill Community Innovation School: Merlisha Theodat, Facilitator, 617-625-6600 x6836
- Out of District Programs: Dorothy Scally, Facilitator, 617-625-6600 x6835