Welcome to Special Education
Join the Transition Fair on February 6, 2020 from 5:30 - 7:30pm at Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, 459 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02138.
Check out the Special Education End-of-Year Presentation, June 2019
Take the Survey
The Special Education Department is responsible for ensuring all students who require special education services in order to maximize their learning are identified and their individualized learning needs are met in the least restrictive environment possible. Special Education Department staff work with teachers, administrators and families to ensure Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) for students are implemented with integrity.
- 2017-2018 Welcome Letter to families in English, Spanish, Portuguese, and Haitian Creole.
- Read our latest edition of Special Ed News to learn what's happening in the Somerville Special Education Department.
- Learn more about the Special Education process: Somerville Special Education Procedural Manual
- Learn more about Special Education assistive technology: Special Education Assistive Technology (SEAT)
- SPS Policy and Procedures Regarding Special Education Extended School Year Programs and Services
- Special Education End-of-Year Presentation - June 2019
We invite you to share your comments or questions.
- Christine Trevisone, Director of Special Education, 617-625-6600 ext 6810
- Marilyn Vrountas, Assistant Director of Special Education, 617-625-6600 ext 6815
- Merlisha Theodat, Special Education Facilitator at Argenziano School, 617-625-6600 ext 6836
- Dorothy Scally, Special Education Facilitator at the Brown School, 617-625-6600 ext 6835
- Susan Gibbons, Special Education Department Head at the Capuano, 617-625-6600 ext 3624
- Anne Casavant, Special Education Department Head at East Somerville Community School, 617-625-6600 ext 3723
- Merlisha Theodot, Special Education Department Head at the Arthur D. Healey School, 617-625-6600 ext 6536
- Victoria Vendola, Special Education Department Head at the John F. Kennedy School, 617-625-6600 ext 6619
- Sharla Randazzo, SEEK Program Director, John F. Kennedy School, 617-625-6600 x6653
- Jack Haverty, Special Education Department Head at Next Wave and Full Circle, 617-629-5640 x6870
- Dorothy Scally, Out of District, 617-625-6600 ext 6835
- Rachel Ziulkowski, Special Education Department Head at Somerville High School, 617-625-6600 ext 6188
- Laura Zanowski, Autism Program Director at Winter Hill Community Innovation School. 617-625-6600 ext 6751
- Susan Maday, Special Education Facilitator at Winter Hill Community Innovation School. 617-625-6600 ext 6817
- Susan Maday, Special Education Facilitator at West Somerville Neighborhood School, 617-625-6600 ext 6817
Special Education Parent Advisory Council
Connect to other families whose children receive special education services in the Somerville Public Schools.
Study of SPS Special Education Services
In 2014-15, the Somerville Public Schools engaged the services of Public Consulting Group (PCG) Education to conduct an in-depth study of Special Education policies, procedures and practices across the District, and offer program improvement recommendations. The resulting Final Report and Summary of Recommendations from PCG are available below, and will be used to develop a strategy which ensures that the needs of special education students throughout the District are most effectively met.
Parent's Notice of Procedural Safeguards
If a student is eligible for special education, the school district must provide a free appropriate public education, commonly referred to by the acronym FAPE, working in partnership with the student's parents/guardians. Please read the Parent's Notice of Procedural Safeguards, available on the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's website in multiple languages.
In accordance with the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA 2004) and Massachusetts Special Education regulations 603 CMR 28.00, the Somerville Public Schools provides screenings and evaluations for all children residing in Somerville, MA between the ages of 3 and 21 to determine eligibility for special education services. Any parent, caregiver, or teacher may refer the student for evaluation if they suspect the presence of a disability that may preclude the child from progressing effectively in a regular education program. This notice applies to all children residing in Somerville, MA who attend either public or private schools. If you believe your child may be in need of special education services, please contact your child's Principal or a Special Education Department Head or Facilitator as listed below.
- Argenziano School: Merlisha Theodat, Facilitator - (617) 625-6600, x6836
- Brown School: Dorothy Scally, Facilitator - (617) 625-6688, x6835
- ECIP/Capuano Early Childhood Center: Susan Gibbons, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x3624
- East Somerville Community School: Anne Casavant, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x3781
- Healey School: Merlisha Theodat, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x6536
- Kennedy School: Victoria Vendola, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x6619
- Next Wave/Full Circle Schools: Jack Haverty, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x6820
- Somerville High School: Rachel Ziulkowski, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x6188
- West Somerville Neighborhood School: Susan Maday, Facilitator - (617) 625-6600, x6817
- Winter Hill Community Innovation School: Susan Maday, Department Head - (617) 625-6600, x6817
- Out-of-District: Dorothy Scally, Facilitator - (617) 625-6600, x6835