Ellenor Barish (Chair),Andre Green, Sarah Phillips, Les Lartey, Glenda Soto, Dayshawn Simmons, Aisha Banda, Johanne Thomas, Anuj Bhardwaj.
The Special Policing Subcommittee is tasked with making a recommendation to the Somerville School Committee about how the relationship between Somerville Public Schools and the Somerville Police Department should be structured. One important question to answer is when should police officers be in school buildings, and more specifically, should Somerville High School have a Student Resource Officer (SRO). Somerville had an SRO from the 1980s until 2020. SROs were required by state law between 2014 and 2020. In 2020, the Somerville Committee voted to put the SRO program into abeyance and to establish this subcommittee. In making our recommendation, the subcommittee will take into account student, parent, staff and other community feedback (see link below).
Special Policing Subcommittee Form - To submit comments, questions or feedback.
A Public Hearing will be scheduled later on in the process.
Meeting Notes and Presentations
January 19, 2022
February 15, 2022
- Policing Subcommittee Information Request Response
- 2017-2018 SPS Discipline Data
- 2017-2018 SHS Discipline Data
- February Policing Subcommittee Report
April 6, 2022
June 15, 2022
October 6, 2022
October 25, 2022
- October 25 Policing Subcommittee Report
- SPS Special Policing Subcommittee Update102522
- STEPS Press Release
November 14, 2022 - Special Policing Public Forum
November 30, 2022
- November 30 Policing Subcommittee Report
- School Liaison Officer - District Proposal
- School Liaison Officer Proposal
- SPS Special Policing Subcommittee Update
December 12, 2022
- December 12 Policing Subcommittee Report
- Annenberg Working Paper - School-Based Policing
- Online Form Responses
January 10, 2023
January 31, 2023