Parents and Guardians
Summer in Somerville
2020 Summer Camp and Activities Guide for the 2020 Summer Camp & Activities Fair. A comprehensive list of camps for school-aged children, jobs and activities for teens, activities for children birth through teen years and a list of year-round after school programming.
Ages and Stages
Do you have questions about how your child is learning or developing skills? The SFLC has a FREE program to answer these kinds of questions. This program is open to all Somerville Families. Free Developmental Screening checklists for familes to fill out about children between 1 month and 5 years old using the "Ages and Stages" system. Resources and strategies to offer families ideas on how to be their child's first teacher. Referral to supportive services for children who might need extra help. Contact us for more information or a copy of the correct checklist for your child. Call (617) 625-6600 x6966. Email or visit the SFLC at the Cummings School, 42 Prescott Street, Somerville MA 02143,
Family Talk Campaign
Read the District Blog post about why talking to our kids is so important. Then get started with the Family Talk Game in English, Spanish, Portuguese or Haitian Creole, which provides lively conversation-starters you can use at the dining table or take on the road.
Read the informational postcards with Family Talk tips:
- Talking to Your Baby: English, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole
- Talking to Your Children During Early Childhood: English, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole
- Talking to Your School-Aged Child: English, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole
Parent / Guardian English Classes
SFLC Parent/Guardian English Classes are offered to parents/guardians of SPS students. Participants can practice and strengthen their English language skills while learning about and becoming more engaged with their child’s education. SFLC works in collaboration with The Welcome Project to provide classes held in the morning and evening. Parents/Guardians can register for classes by calling 617-625-6600 ext. 3706 Contact: ESCS Family and Community Liaison.
Somerville Public Schools' Talking About Racism and Activism has learning resources for families.
2017 & 2018 Social Story for the Week of the Young Child:
- Somerville, a Kind and Fair City (English)
- Somerville, una Ciudad Justa y Amable (Spanish)
- Somerville, uma Cidade Generosa e Justa (Portuguese)
- Somerville, Yon Vil Kote Yo Janti Epi Jis (Haitian Creole)
- 2018 Letter from Mayor Curtatone to Somerville Children
Social Story: Working Together for a Wonderful City
- Working Together for a Wonderful City in English
- Nap Travay Ansanm pou yon Vil Mayifik_Haitian Creole
- Trabajando Juntos por una Maravillosa Ciudad_Espanol
- Trabalhando Juntos para uma Cidade Maravilhosa_Portugues
A Social Story to Help Children During Hard Times: When Things Feel Terrible
A Social Story to Help with Biting: A Mouth Can
Somervillehub.org One-stop shopping for early childhood activities in Somerville.
Multilingual Services ensures access to interpretation and translation services for Somerville Public School staff in order to communicate with school families. The Multilingual Services team is comprised of 100 staff members who speak 22 languages, including English, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, and lower incident languages. Contact: Maura Mendoza, Multilingual Services Coordinator, 617-625-6600 ext. 6958.