Please note that this is a living document that will continue to evolve. A summary of changes/updates are listed at the bottom of this page, with details noted in the Appendix section so that readers can easily see additions and changes.
The Somerville Public Schools Fall 2020 Reopening Plan is intended to serve as a guideline as we enter the 2020-2021 school year in the midst of a Covid-19 global pandemic and new health and safety requirements that are informing and impacting the way we teach and learn. This plan has been informed by guidance from the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, guidance from the Somerville Department of Health and Human Services, expert epidemiologists and immunologists, and student, family and staff input solicited over the last several months through surveys, Town Halls, public comment, and personal outreach. Our goal has been to develop a plan that will ensure a high-quality, comprehensive learning experience for all students, while keeping the health and safety of our students, staff and families at the forefront of our planning.
In this document, we have attempted to outline what teaching and learning will look like over the course of the year, recognizing the importance of being able to transition seamlessly from remote teaching and learning to in-person teaching and learning as health and safety conditions dictate. We will continue to monitor the trajectory of the virus as well as local, regional, and national health trends as we continue to work toward a safe and gradual return to our schools.
Table of Contents
III. Equity At The Center
IV. Phased Reopening
Appendix A: Updates made on 08/18/20 - Document Changes noted in purple
Appendix B: Updates made on 11/24/20 - Document Changes noted in green
August 17 draft - See Full changes in Appendix A (changes documented in purple)
- Change in Phased Reopening section of the document - updated section in light of Aug 12 announcement that Somerville High School students will remain in All Remote until the opening of the new school building
- Change in Instructional section of the document, under the Full Remote Learning Model (LMS) subheading - updated section on offered Learning Management Systems for Full Remote Learning Model
- Change in Instructional section of the document, under the Full Remote Learning Model (LMS) subheading in the overview table - corrected mistype by shifting “synchronous” to “asynchronous”
- Change in Instructional section of the document, under the Phased Hybrid Learning Model subheading - clarification on remote learning options and offered Learning Management Systems
- Change in Instructional section of the document, under Somerville High School Phased Reopening Learning Model subheading - added and deleted text to describe All Remote learning in light of Aug 12 announcement that Somerville High School students will remain in All Remote until the opening of the new school building
- Change in Instructional section of the document, under English Language Learners subheading - added a section on Unidos.
- Change in Additional Supports section of the document - added text to reflect continued work in offering outdoor and enrichment programming