Early College at Somerville High School
Earn college credits and develop college readiness skills while you’re in high school.
Since 2019, Somerville High School has partnered with Cambridge College to engage high school juniors and seniors in college courses. Students participate in the program at no cost to them and can earn 12 or more college credits, which may reduce the cost of higher education after graduation by about $7,500.
The experience helps build students’ college readiness while in high school by introducing them to higher education systems and processes, advanced coursework, and academic success skills in a safe, supportive environment. Students who participate in Early College are more likely to enroll in and graduate from college.
- The Early College program is open to all SHS juniors and seniors and is specially designed to promote access to higher education among students of color, students from low-income backgrounds, students who receive special education services, first generation college-bound students, immigrant students, and former English Learners.
- Students in the Career and Technical Education (CTE) program may also participate in Early College. The high school has made adjustments in the schedule to accommodate students in both programs.
- Students are transported to the college’s Charlestown campus two afternoons each week for advanced learning with college professors in World History, Engineering, Social Justice, and Digital Storytelling, all of which also satisfy course requirements toward their high school diploma. Seniors have an option to enroll in a fifth course at Cambridge College, assuming they have met the prerequisites.
- Information sessions for students and families are held in the fall of students’ sophomore and junior years. Applications are due in the winter for enrollment in Early College the following fall.
- Early College students participate in college readiness workshops in the spring of their 10th grade year. Juniors in the program also participate in support classes at SHS twice per week. Throughout the program, students have access to tutoring and other resources to help them succeed.
- The Somerville program is one of 39 Early College partnerships across the Commonwealth.
- Early College at SHS flyer in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole
- Course Sequence and Descriptions (PDF)
For More Information: