Priority Enrollment Period: January 4, 2023 – February 24, 2023
- Register for the 2023-2024 School Year using this link: English
- Usando este enlace usted está haciendo la registración para el año escolar actual 2023-2024: Español
- Matricule seu filho para o ano letivo de 2023-2024 usando esta link: Português
- Enskripsyon pou ane eskolè 2023-2024 la sèvi avèk lyen sa-a: Kreyòl Ayisyen
SPS Preschool Enrollment
Prekindergarten Program Overview
The Somerville Public Schools offers free preschool for a limited number of children at the Michael E. Capuano Early Childhood Center as well as a limited number of classrooms at the Argenziano School, East Somerville Community School, West Somerville Neighborhood School, Winter Hill Community Innovation School, Kennedy School, Arthur D. Healey School, and the Sonrisa Program (a bilingual program located at the Healey School for students from families who speak Spanish as their native language). Students must be 4 years old by August 31st. The prekindergarten program runs from 8:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m., Monday-Friday. High-quality afterschool programming is available until 5:30 p.m. for 4-year-olds at all preschool sites. Please visit the Somerville Community Schools page to learn more about the school-based afterschool program, which has a separate enrollment process and sliding scale fees.
SONRISA BILINGUAL PREKINDERGARTEN PROGRAM for Spanish Heritage Speakers
The Sonrisa program is a bilingual prekindergarten classroom located at the Arthur D. Healey School. The program serves four-year-old students from families who speak Spanish at home. In Sonrisa, all children will have the opportunity to affirm their cultural heritage while they develop age-appropriate literacy skills in Spanish and English. Children will receive 80% of their instruction in Spanish, focusing on foundational literacy, and 20% of their instruction in English. This program follows the same curriculum as other SPS prekindergarten classrooms. Spanish-speaking families may enroll their children in Sonrisa through the SPS enrollment portal.
Prekindergarten Enrollment Timeline, 2023-2024 School Year
- Prekindergarten registration information mailed to families with children 4 years of age by August 31, 2023 during the week of November 7, 2022.
- Registration Information Sessions on November 15
- PK - 8 School Open Houses and School Tours.
- Online Registration begins for 2023-2024 school year on January 4, 2023.
- Registration assistance for any grade requires a scheduled appointment at the Enrollment Office (167 Holland Street). Please call 617-629-5670. The office is open Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and the last appointment starts at 3:00 p.m.
- Registration deadline for participating in the first batch of school assignments is February 24, 2023.
- Prekindergarten assignment letters or emails are sent out by the Enrollment Office for first batch registrations the week of March 20, 2023.
The Early Childhood Intervention Program (ECIP) of Somerville Public Schools offers an Integrated Preschool Program at the Michael E. Capuano Early Childhood Center. The ECIP program is designed to meet the needs of children ages 3-5 that have been identified in need of specially designed instruction due to a disability. The Integrated Preschool Program includes peer partners from the community. Peers being considered for admission must be 3 years old and will be screened.
- Please note: there are currently no open slots for community peers in the 2022-2023 and limited or no spots are predicted to open up during the 2023-2024 school year.
- Peer Interest ECIP Lottery Form for 2023-2024
- Visit the FAQ page about ECIP for more details about the program.
ECIP Enrollment Timeline, 2023-2024 School Year
ECIP has its own enrollment system that is not the same as the prekindergarten enrollment process.
- March 29, 2023, 9:00 a.m. Parent Information Session in the Capuano Cafeteria
- April 4, 6:30 p.m. Virtual Parent Information Session on Zoom
- https://k12somerville.zoom.us/j/84557552534?pwd=R2kzRjZObXRHeEtRUG05cjhkc3lwQT09, Meeting ID: 845 5755 2534, Password: ECIP2023
- April 14, Application Deadline for Lottery Screening Participation
- May 2, 3, 4, Scheduled Screenings
- May 17, 2:00 p.m. Lottery Announced in the Capuano Cafeteria