The College and Career Readiness (CCR) at Somerville High School
College and Career Readiness at Somerville High School aims to prepare all students for postsecondary success. The goal is for all students to understand the multiple paths they have after high school, allow students to identify the path that is best for them, and prepare students to take the necessary steps to be successful in that path. The curriculum is delivered in a variety of ways.
In the 2022-2023 School Year, the College & Career Team is working to provide a variety of events in our college & career readiness curriculum remotely. This will include the following events and programs.
College & Career Calendar of Events - School Year 2022-2023
- August 9, 2022 (1pm-2pm): College Essay Workshop Sign up Form
- August 18, 2022 (1pm-2pm): College Essay Workshop Sign up Form
- September 15, 2022 (1:45pm): Early Application Meeting
- September 21, 2022 (7pm-8pm):Post HS Planning Night
- September 29, 2022 (7pm-8pm):Financial Aid Night
- October 1, 2022: SAT School Day
- October 15, 2022 (10am-12pm): Financial Aid Application Event
- February 8, 2023: State College On the Spot Admissions Day
- March 28, 2023: Community College On the Spot Admissions Day
- April 12, 2023 (7pm-8pm): Financial Aid Award Review Workshop
- May 16, 2023: First Generation Breakfast
11th GRADE COLLEGE & CAREER PLANNING EVENTS
We host a series of virtual college & career planning events that we hope will provide you with the opportunity to connect with us to get the information and support you need! All events are for 11th grade students and parents/guardians/families. You can plan to attend all or some of the events below. After each presentation, we plan to provide a video of the same information (note: the meetings themselves will not be recorded). The Zoom link for all events will be sent out by Melanie Kessler. You can contact her at email@example.com for more information.
- Presentation 1: College & Career Kickoff for Juniors (November 15th at 7:00pm): Find out how college & career services will work for you and your student at SHS and learn about your options after high school. We will also discuss the PSAT/SAT plan at this meeting.
- Presentation 2: Intro to College Basics (two options: December 13th during X Block OR January 17th at 7:00pm): Learn about four-year colleges and community colleges, the differences between them, the steps and timeline for applying, and how SHS will help.
- Presentation 3: Financial Aid Intro for Juniors (March 29th at 7:00pm): Learn the basics of how college financial aid works and the timeline for applying.
- Presentation 4: Pre Summer Meeting for Juniors (June 2nd at 7:00pm)
Interpreters will be available in Spanish, Portuguese, and Haitian Creole.
Los intérpretes estarán disponibles en español.
Intérpretes estarão disponíveis em português.
N’ap gen entèprèt disponib an Kreyòl Ayisyen.
College & Career Lessons in Classrooms
Throughout the year, College & Career Team members may visit students’ classrooms. For example, the team may collaborate with senior English classes on writing a college essay and personal statement.
College & Career Office Hours
Each team member will hold office hours for students or families to drop in and ask questions. You should try to attend your own College & Career Counselor/Advisor’s office hours but if it doesn’t work for your schedule, you are welcome to join a different team member's session!
We will host information sessions with a college admissions representative or a union.
Throughout the year we may host and/or promote college & career readiness events that we think students and families should attend.
Somerville High School College Fair (October 18, 2022)
Individual Meetings with counselors
Every student can expect to meet with their school counselor individually every year to discuss college and career plans, in addition to academic and personal/social topics.
In their junior year, students will be assigned to a College & Career Counselor/Advisor who will work with them on their future planning process.
Class of 2023 students can find their College & Career Counselor/Advisor name and contact information below.
Mr. Green: College & Career Advisor for Beacon Community
Mx. Short: College & Career Advisor for Highland Community
Ms. Schutte: College & Career Counselor for Broadway & Elm Community
Appointments with College & Career Counselors/Advisors can be schedule through Calendly https://calendly.com/shscollegecareer
Topics discussed in individual meetings with school counselor:
- Student’s transition to high school
- Set academic, personal/social, and college/career goals for high school
- Develop a four-year plan for course selection
- Review academics and school involvement
- Introduce postsecondary options
- Career exploration
- Develop a four-year plan for course selection
- Review academic performance and its role in postsecondary options
- Review school involvement
- Discuss student’s postsecondary plan and action steps for student
- Discuss college planning tools (Naviance, College Board), PSAT/SAT/ACT, letters of recommendation, financial aid
- Discuss steps for students who want to enter directly into a career or the military after high school
- Review student’s postsecondary plan
- Individualized postsecondary planning with student. This may include scholarship applications, college essay review, college list planning, recommendations, job applications, steps for enlisting in military, and other topics as necessary