- Registration link: https://www.ezchildtrack.com/csafterschool/parent/
- Cost: There is a $75 non-refundable registration fee per family that is due at the time of registration. This fee will be waived for families applying for financial assistance. Information about weekly programming costs, financial aid, and payment methods can be found on the Fees Page.
- Registration support: Multilingual staff and are ready to offer assistance in English, Spanish, Portuguese, or Haitian Creole. Please call 617-625-6600 x6970 with any questions or to request an appointment.
- Contact Us: We are located in room 132 in the Tufts Administration Building at 167 Holland Street. To find room 132, enter the front door, walk down the stairs or use the elevator, and take a right. Our doorway is at the end of the hallway on the right side. Office hours are Monday–Friday 8:15 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The last appointment starts at 3:00 p.m. You can reach us by phone at 617-625-6600 x6970.
About our Placement Process
Afterschool seats are assigned based on availability at sites and through a weighted enrollment system. Community Schools prioritizes applicants who register for Afterschool during the registration period. Registration does not indicate enrollment. Although seats are limited, the program tries to accommodate as many families as possible. Families who are not initially enrolled will remain on the waiting list until placement can be offered. Please call the office if you find alternative afterschool care and can be removed from the waitlist. Please complete all registration details so our office accurately understands your family’s needs.
The Community Schools Afterschool Program registration period begins after families are notified of their school placement by the Enrollment Office. When registering for Afterschool, you must select the same school that your child will attend as your Afterschool location.
Returning 6th and 7th grade students need to complete a peer mentor application to register for Community Schools Afterschool.
Registration Confirmation + Placement Confirmation
When you complete your Afterschool Program registration, you will receive an email confirming that your registration has been received. A second email is sent later that indicates whether the child has a seat at an Afterschool site and is considered enrolled. If a family does not receive the email, the student remains on the waiting list as registered but not enrolled. It is possible that not all students in the same family will be enrolled, due to factors such as group size per grade and needs within those groups. Students who are enrolled will be notified within one month.
You will receive your child’s school assignment from the Enrollment Office after March 18, 2024. The Enrollment Office and the Community Schools office keep in close contact about students coming off the waitlist, but please call us if your child does come off the waitlist at another school to make us aware if you are accepting a seat at the new school. This will improve your child’s chance of getting an Afterschool spot at that school.
- Program Hours: Community Schools Afterschool follows the same school year calendar as Somerville Public Schools.
- The first day of Afterschool is the first day of school.
- Afterschool programming starts at the end of the school day.
- Children are dismissed from Afterschool between 5:15 – 5:30 p.m.
- On early release Wednesdays, the Afterschool Program starts at the earlier school release time. There is no gap between school dismissal and Afterschool programming on early release days.
- Prekindergarteners’ first week of school ends at 11:30 a.m. and Afterschool for PK will run from 11:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Kindergarteners’ first week will follow a regular Afterschool schedule.
Site Coordinator Contact Phone Numbers
El Sistema Instrument Program
The El Sistema Somerville program is an innovative music and instrument instruction program and one of the options available to families looking for afterschool through Somerville Public Schools. The East Somerville Community School houses the program and it begins in mid-September. This program is run by the Somerville Public Schools Music Department, not Community Schools. You may visit the Music Department's El Sistema page to learn more about the El Sistema registration process. You may also contact program coordinator Evan Perry with questions.
For families still looking for after school child care, Somerville has several high-quality providers open to all youth. They offer programming at affordable rates. Some programs fill up quickly.
Additional after school opportunities can be found at our Out of School Time Opportunities page, including free afterschool clubs. These clubs are intended to provide enrichment, but will not provide comprehensive afterschool care.
External Partner programs
Somerville students many also choose to enroll in programs available to them that are external to Somerville Public Schools. Please visit the Out of School Time webpage to find links to lists of external partners. Several of our longterm partner programs are listed below.
- Parts and Crafts, Ages 6-13 years. Contact: Dina Gjersten at email@example.com. Register: https://www.amilia.com/store/en/parts-and-crafts/shop/programs/79570
- Mystic Learning Center, Ages 5-13 years. Contact: Tracey at 617-623-0110. Register: https://mysticlearningcenter.org/
- Elizabeth Peabody House, Ages 5-12 years. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Register: 617-623-5510
- Somerville YMCA, Grades K-7. Contact: Tania Buck. Register: https://somervilleymca.org