Academic Opportunities for students at the East Somerville Community School
The new ESCS building opened to great fanfare following a 6-year rebuilding effort after a fire destroyed the old school. The new ESCS features state-of-the-art technology, a beautiful auditorium, child-friendly recreation facilities, outdoor learning environments, including a school garden courtyard, energy-saving features, and much more.
Grades & Learning Opportunities
- K-8 Home to the UNIDOS bilingual / bi-cultural Spanish-English immersion program.
- K-8 Home of El Sistema Somerville, a district-wide intensive afterschool music experience based on an internationally recognized instructional model.
- K-8 Recognized by the Rennie Center for achievement of special education youth and exemplary teaching of 21st century skills.
- K-8 Second Step social-emotional curriculum for all students.
- K-8 Courtyard outdoor classrooms that enhances students' learning experiences. Reading Buddies pairs grade 8 Students with younger students to read together.
- K-8 21st Century Community Learning Center SPS Community Schools afterschool program provides developmentally-appropriate enrichment activities.