New Drop-off / Pickup Zone for Argenziano Families
Begins Monday, June 5, 2023
Improving Safety for Students, Families, and Staff
In an effort to keep students, families, and staff safe as they arrive and leave school, we are returning to the use of the Clark Street drop-off and pickup zone. We realize that there will be a period of adjustment and confusion during this transition. We encourage you to give yourselves a few extra minutes to drop off and pick up children starting on Monday, June 5 and to approach this change with patience. Below is a complete description of the new zones and drop-off / pickup process. Please feel free to reach out to the front office with any questions.
Three Ways to Bring a Child to AFAS
- Park on a side street and walk with your student to the school.
- Take public transportation, walk, or cycle with your child to school.
- Drive to the drop-off / pickup zone on Clark Street where a school staff member will escort students in grades 1–3 into the school. Older students may walk themselves into the building. Families of students in grades 1–3 will receive a color-coded tag for the car’s rearview mirror. For kindergartners, families must continue to bring their child to the tot lot. Cars will not be allowed to park in the drop-off / pickup zone.
Driving to School
Roundabout on Washington Street Closes starting Monday, June 5
- Roundabout will be closed to private vehicle traffic from 7:45–8:15 a.m. and from 2:15–2:45 p.m.
- Only school buses will use the roundabout.
- Parents will not be allowed to park in the roundabout.
Drop-off and pickup returns to Clark Street starting Monday, June 5
- There will be a designated drop-off / pickup zone on Clark Street and no parking will be allowed in this zone. Parents must stay in their vehicles in the drop-off / pickup zone.
- Administrators will be in the pickup zone at dismissal to assist students and the flow of traffic from 2:30–2:40 p.m.
- Families will continue to drop off and pick up kindergarten students in the tot lot area.
- A staff member will bring students in grades 1–3, who have been identified as being picked up by car, to the pickup zone at dismissal.
- Students in grades 4–8 will walk independently to the pickup location to meet their ride at dismissal.
- As a reminder, Clark Street was the dedicated drop-off and pickup zone until 2020, when we needed to redirect traffic due to construction in Union Square.
The map below indicates the two drop-off / pickup areas on Clark Street as yellow dots.
We ask that you:
- Do not park on the bike lane to drop off students.
- Do not park and leave your vehicle unattended or idling in the drop-off / pickup area.
- Do not park illegally.
- Do not block the roundabout area on Washington Street.
- Do not use the roundabout between 7:50–8:20 a.m. and 2:00–2:45 p.m.
- Do not leave your vehicle unattended when dropping off or picking up at the designated location.
We ask you to:
- Plan extra time for drop-off / pickup.
- Use the Clark Street designated area for a quick drop-off and pickup by vehicle.
- Use the roundabout if you are biking or walking to school.
- Listen to the instructions from the Crossing Guard and school staff.
- Be observant and careful with people walking or rolling.
- Park legally in the areas around the school and walk to drop off or pick up your children.
- If your pickup plans change, let your child’s teacher know as soon as possible.
- Wait in your vehicle and follow instructions from staff.
- Consider joining the bike bus group or walking to school with a neighbor.
Please email the front office with any questions.