Dear SPS Parents, Guardians and Staff,
I hope this message finds you well. Thank you for your continued partnership in helping to keep our students and staff safe throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Somerville Public Schools will be updating our testing program to align with the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s (DESE’s) recommended testing strategy, which will give every student and staff member the opportunity to test twice per week. These updates will go into effect on Monday, February 14, 2022. All families and staff members are encouraged to participate in the new testing program and must fill out the form below in order to receive at-home rapid tests.
PLEASE COMPLETE NOW: OPT-IN FORM
According to both local and state-wide data from DESE and MDPH, the Massachusetts Test & Stay program has demonstrated negative test results over 90% of the time. Therefore, DESE has proposed a new testing strategy, which will be implemented in SPS effective February 14, 2022 and includes:
- Implementation of NEW at-home testing once per week for staff and students
- Continuation of weekly pooled testing for consented staff and students, with follow-up rapid testing of all individuals in a positive pool
- Continuation of symptomatic testing in all schools
- Continuation of tracking of cases and monitoring of trends
- Discontinuation of Test & Stay
- Discontinuation of school contact tracing
You must complete the Opt-In Form by Wednesday, February 2, 2022, to opt-in to the at-home testing program and receive weekly at-home testing kits. This opt-in process is different from consenting to pooled and symptomatic testing. If you have questions, please contact your principal or school nurse.
We will continue to keep you informed as we continue to make appropriate adjustments. Thank you in advance for your continued support.