SCALE will empower adults, 16 and older, by providing data-informed literacy instruction, a challenging learning environment, guided supports, and high expectations for student engagement. SCALE will expand students’ skills, knowledge, and habits of mind to ensure academic and career success.
Since 1974, SCALE has provided classes and support services to more than 1,200 adult learners annually who need basic reading, writing, and math skills, English instruction for non-native speakers, or a high-school credential. SCALE's fully accessible facilities include a computer lab and an on-site HiSET Exam Center. Our morning and evening classes are free. Fees are charged for the ADP (Adult Diploma Program) and HiSET exams.
SCALE Office Hours
Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Interim Director of Adult Learning: Corrinna Horton
- Interim ABE (Adult Basic Education)/ASE (Adult Secondary Education) Program Administrator: Nathaniel Binzen
- Interim ELL (English Language learning) Program Administrator: Franklin Vargas
167 Holland St.
Somerville MA 02145
Get directions to SCALE by public transportation or car.
SCALE Classes + Programs
HOW TO APPLY
Interested in attending SCALE?
- Come in during office hours to complete an application for ELL classes.
- Call 617-625-6600 x6900 to speak to one of our advisors.
- Attend one of our information sessions.
Click for information about ADP and HiSET transcripts.
School Closure Information
If classes are canceled due to snow or other factors, staff will receive a Connect-Ed telephone call from the school district (in English, Spanish, Portuguese, and Haitian Creole). Snow emergency information can also be found on this website, by calling 311 (617-666-3311 from outside of Somerville), on Somerville EdTV Channel 15 (Astound & Comcast Standard Definition) and Channel 614 (Astound High Definition), or on the City of Somerville website at www.somervillema.gov.