Our Summer Music Programs
Parents, guardians, and adult community members are all welcome to take our summer music programming!
Somerville String Fest
The Somerville String Fest is open to violin, viola, cello and bass students age 7+ from and adults from Somerville and surrounding communities. Beginners are welcome! Students with a year or more of experience will be placed in orchestra according to their ability. The string program offers daily orchestra rehearsals, chorus, chamber music, and music theory. Classes include technique and improvisation. Somerville String Fest is a great opportunity for string students to refine their playing abilities over the summer.
Somerville String Fest 2020
- Dates: July 20 – July 31, 2020. Monday to Friday 9:00am-12:30pm
- Location: John F. Kennedy School in Porter Square (5 Cherry Street).
- Ages: students 7 and up. Adults Welcome!
- Tuition for the two-week program is $160 for Somerville residents, $200 for non-Somerville residents. There is a $10 discount for payments received by May 1, 2020.
- Instruments are available to rent for an additional fee of $20
- Register using the on-line registration form at https://tinyurl.com/StringFest2020
- Student concert Friday, July 31 at 10:30am. Parents, guardians and the public invited.
- Email questions to Program Coordinator Joanne Sadler
- Arrive early on the first day to pick up your schedule! The front desk opens at 8:00am.
Learn the basics and enjoy the delights of playing in a brass street band, like the bands that come to Somerville's annual HONK! Festival. It's all about having fun while playing lively dance music from American and other street band traditions. Open to any student from 5th grade and up and any adult who plays woodwinds, brass or percussion, preferably with at least one year's experience on a chosen instrument.
Summer HONK 2019
- Dates: July 22 - August 2, 2019. Monday - Friday. 9:00am - 12:00pm
- Location: John F. Kennedy School in Porter Square (5 Cherry Street)
- Ages: Fifth grade and up. Families and parents are encouraged to apply!
- Cost for the two weeks is $160 ($80 / week); family discounts and some scholarships may be available for students who need them
- Learn more and register at http://schoolofhonk.org/summerhonk/
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Sing in Somerville
The executive committee of Sing in Somerville and the Kodaly Music Institute (Anna Maria College) have decided not to run our programs this summer. A full refund will be given to any registered participants.
Sing! in Somerville Choir Program - Cancelled
- There is no Sing! in Somerville Choir Program this year, Summer 2020
- Dates: Next Year. Monday - Friday. 9:00am - 12:00pm (no class July 4th)
- Location: West Somerville Neighborhood School, 177 Powder House Blvd, Somerville, MA 02144
- Students Entering Grades 2-5 Who Like to Sing. Adults are welcome to register and learn as well!
- Cost is $160 for Somerville residents, $190 for non-Somerville residents.
- Learn more and register at https://www.kodalymusicinstitute.org/sing-somerville/
- Students normally perform in a short, Friday Gala Concert Friday, am at Clarendon Hill Presbyterian Church 155 Powder House Blvd Somerville.
- For more information contact Singinsomerville@gmail.com